BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

May's Turnings

Sorry for the long gap of no turnings. I've still been turning I just haven't had time to take pictures and post them to the web. So, with out further ado...May's Turnings!




This bowl turned from Box Elder had a wonderful hidden design. You can see it a little bit but the camera didn't capture the stunning look. This bowl has bright orange highlights along the outside and inside of the bowls. Box Elder is known to have a little orange/red marks in the wood but this bowl has natural beauty.






This bowl is about 6" in diameter and turned from Box Elder. I polished it with a lacquer to really make it shine!







This Bowl is made of a very different wood called Alnthis or also spelled Ailanthus. The Ailanthus tree is often called the "Tree of Heaven" and is found in China and Taiwan in temperate climates. It's Chinese name is 椿 or chouchun for those of us who don't know characters, like myself. It's my first exotic wood that I have turned and it looks great!











This bowl is about 3 1/2" in diameter and is made of Box Elder.
The four little ticks that are shown in the second picture are my ideas of creativity. (Really I just slipped while using the wood burning and one, two, and three little ticks didn't look right.














This bowl is 4" in diameter. It is made of Elm and finished with a lacquer to make it shine! (The pictures don't do it justice.)








No comments:

Post a Comment